5.03.2011

Oven Fries

This is one of those dishes that is a staple in our home. Why? Because it is fast, easy, superbly delicious, and a wonderful healthy substitute for standard deep-fried french fries. Not to mention these are amazingly cheap! I often make these instead of chips with lunch, and they go great along with anything grilled.

Oven Fries
6-10 potatoes (I make 6 for my family of 2 adults and 2 kids)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 TBSP garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp fresh black pepper
1 TBSP smoked paprika
1 TBSP Italian Seasoning (or mixed basil, thyme, and oregano)

1) Scrub potatoes and slice into small sticks about 1/4" thick. I find that is normally about four or five slices in two directions, leaving them your desired thickness of french fry. My husband likes them super thin; I like mine a little chunkier. There is no need to peel!
2) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
3) Lay fries out on a sheet pan with sides (jelly roll pan) and drizzle with the olive oil. I usually don't measure, just give them a healthy drizzle. Toss gently with your fingers, so all the potatoes get oiled.
4) Sprinkle potatoes with all the seasonings, making sure each one gets a little of everything. Again, toss gently with fingers to ensure even coating.
*Or, if you prefer, put the potatoes, oil, and seasoning in a large bowl or a plastic zip-lock bag and toss or shake to combine, then spread out on the sheet pan.*
5) Bake at 425 for 30-45 minutes, until they reach the desired crispiness. Serve with mayonnaise or ketchup or fry sauce, whatever you love!

New ingredient of the day:
Smoked Paprika. One of my favorite ingredients in my spice cabinet. It rich and smokey, but not spicy at all. It adds beautiful color and aroma as well. Of course you can use regular paprika if you're not in the mood to buy a new spice. But I promise, you won't be disappointed if you do buy a jar of the smoked stuff. Use it instead of regular paprika in all your meat marinades, on deviled eggs, or anywhere you might use paprika!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tried this recipe? Let me know how it turned out!