3.03.2012

Fried Rice

It's delicious, fast, and very easy, and a whole meal by itself (or a great side-dish). In other words, this is one of the most versatile recipes out there. I love this fried rice as a lunch, and so do my kids! I make at least a double batch every time I cook it, and we still gobble up the whole pan full. For vegetarian, substitute shrimp for the ham--or just leave it out entirely. This is meant to be a use-up for leftovers, so you can use cooked chicken or any vegetable medley you have on hand.
Ham Fried Rice

1 cup calrose rice, uncooked*
2 cups water*
2 tsp chicken bouillon (optional)*
*OR: 2 cups cooked rice
2 TBSP olive oil
1 cup cubed ham
1 cup frozen peas, frozen peas & carrots, OR frozen vegetable medley
2 eggs
2 TBSP soy sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder

1) Cook rice in a pot or rice cooker with water and chicken bouillon until done, according to package directions. *If using leftover cooked plain rice, omit this step, since--hey! it's already cooked.
2) Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium high heat with olive oil. Add ham and let cook for about 1 minute.
3) Add cooked rice and toss to combine, then let it sit and toast for about 3-5 minutes, turning only occasionally. You want some little brown bits to form, but don't burn it.
4) Add frozen vegetables and toss to combine. Let cook for another couple of minutes until vegetables are hot.
5) Beat eggs with soy sauce, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl.
6) Pour eggs over the cooking rice mixture and stir well for 2 minutes, or until eggs are fully cooked and incorporated (like scrambled eggs).
7) Enjoy! Makes about 4 servings, or if you've got my kids in the household, only 2. :)

Note: if you are making this for someone who needs gluten-free, make sure you check your ham, soy sauce, and bouillon for wheat in the ingredients. All of these things can easily be found GF, but you just need to double check. Also remember that you can always change out the ham for some other type of protein, like edamame or chicken or shrimp to fit your needs.

2 comments:

  1. I make fried rice almost just like this...and it is always very yummy. We had leftover rice from last night's stir fry, and today I thought about making fried rice. Then I saw your post. :) Sam doesn't really care for ham much, so I often use pieces of polska sausage instead and that adds a nice, spicy addition. Yummy stuff!

    PS I remember my high school served fried rice and I tried to figure out how to make it at home. I remember adding in the eggs to the rice, instead of cooking them separately. Haha...that definitely didn't work... :) My parents laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty! I always add a shake of sugar and some ginger since I love those flavors. I also use sliced green onions (preferably straight from the garden!). My husband's family loves to pour celery seed dressing over the top. Go figure ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tried this recipe? Let me know how it turned out!